316l Stainless Steel Technical Data Sheet
Reference Data On Some Physical Properties
316 is usually regarded as the standard “marine grade stainless steel”, however it is not proof against heat seawater. In many marine environments, 316 does exhibit surface corrosion, normally seen as brown staining. Grade 316L, the low carbon model of 316 and is immune from sensitization (grain boundary carbide precipitation).
Processing / Welding
- Grade 316L, the low carbon model of 316 and has very excessive immunity from sensitization (grain boundary carbide precipitation).
- It is an austenitic, corrosion resistant steel with wonderful strength, toughness, fabrication characteristics and weldability.
- The low carbon version, 316L, could also be required for full corrosion resistance when thicker sections are welded.
- It is extensivly used within the oil and gasoline and chemical industries for its cost effective corrosion resistance and ease of fabrication.
- The 316H model has a assured minimal carbon content material, which ensures good strength at excessive temperatures.
The larger molybdenum content of 316 make it significantly more corrosion resistant than grade 304. low carbon filler metals with molybdenum content higher than that of the base steel should be used with Prodec 316/316L stainless steel.
Generally, the Type 316 grade may be thought-about to carry out equally well for a given setting. A notable exception is in environments sufficiently corrosive to trigger intergranular corrosion of welds and heat-affected zones on vulnerable alloys.
In such media, Type 316L is most popular over Type 316 for the welded condition since low carbon levels enhance resistance to intergranular corrosion. Type 316 is significantly more resistant than any of the other chromium-nickel sorts to options of sulfuric acid. At temperature as excessive as 120° F (49° C), Type 316 is resistant to concentrations of this acid up to 5 percent. At temperatures under one hundred° F (38° C), this kind has excellent resistance to greater concentrations. Service tests are usually fascinating as operating situations and acid contaminants may considerably affect corrosion fee.
It’s the chromium within the 304 and 316 grades that differentiate stainless-steel from carbon metal. Another widely used austenitic steel is 316 and 316L stainless steel, the corrosion efficiency of SS 304 isn’t sufficient, 316L is often contemplate as the primary alternate.